Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) Driver - Level 2
Overview of role
Driving and delivering goods across all sectors and distances for a range of customers from private individuals and sole traders through to large global organisations.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
Candidates must hold at least a valid UK category B driving licence and be 18 years old before they gain a provisional vocational licence.
What apprentices will learn
- road safety practices, procedures and legislation - including goods vehicle and working time restrictions and vulnerable road users
- vehicle safety and preparation - including checks and inspections, defect reporting and load security
- safe and fuel efficient driving (SAFED) driving techniques - including restricted space manoeuvres and using public and private roads
- transport planning - including route selection and vehicle selection
- using industry-recognised systems and technology - including adaptive braking, hand-held scanners, on-board telematics and tachographs
- communicating effectively with colleagues and customers - including customer service and establishing rapport
- health and safety practices, procedures, regulations and legislation within a supply chain environment
Category C driving licence
The apprenticeship includes licence acquisition training for Cat C or C+E LGVs. This training is provided at one of our 26 LGV training centres across the country, 12 of which are DVSA approved test centres providing easy access to test dates. We have modern fleet of 150 plus manual and automatic training LGVs and over 100 highly experienced instructors.
The apprenticeship training is tailored to the needs of the individual employer and is delivered through a blended combination of on the job tuition plus off the job master classes, workshops, e-learning content and professional discussions.
Additional training may be included such as short courses in ADR carriage of dangerous goods and emergency First Aid at work as appropriate to the job.
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must:
- achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)