Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair - Level 3
Suitable roles for apprentices
- Heavy vehicle diagnostic technician
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
Set by the employer
Apprentices will achieve a combined practical and theory-based qualification:
- Diploma in Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
What apprentices will learn
- HV engineering principles - including vehicle applications, configurations, designs, diagnostics, technologies and vehicle testing standards and maintenance schedules
- HV engineering practices - including inspecting, servicing, maintaining vehicles and trailers, quality checks and roadside assistance
- Using engineering tools and equipment – including hand and power tools, engineering and technical manuals and diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment
- Team working - including effective written and verbal communication skills, working as part of a team and taking ownership and responsibility when required
- Health and safety standards and legislation within a bus and coach environment - including Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and operator licensing requirements
This apprenticeship is delivered in the workplace and at one of our fully equipped Institute of the Motor Industry accredited training centres around the country. The apprentice gains the knowledge, skills and experience for working in a vehicle workshop.
The apprenticeship training is tailored to the needs of the individual employer and is delivered by highly qualified and technically competent training advisors. The programme is a blended combination of on the job tuition and assessment plus day release learning, e-learning content and professional discussions.